OAS CAHPS Preview Reports Available for Quarter 4, 2020 through Quarter 3, 2021
folder_openPublic Reportingcalendar_todayPosted April 13, 2022
The purpose of this announcement is to alert hospital outpatient departments (HOPDs) and ambulatory surgery centers (ASCs) that Preview Reports reflecting results from the Outpatient and Ambulatory Surgery CAHPS (OAS CAHPS) Survey for October 2020 through September 2021 (Q4, 2020-Q3, 2021) are now available on the OAS CAHPS website.
Please note OAS CAHPS Survey results will not be refreshed on CMS' Provider Data Catalog (PDC) website this quarter. These data will only be available via the OAS CAHPS Survey Preview Reports on the OAS CAHPS website. (See previous announcement on this topic - Public Reporting of OAS CAHPS Data will not be refreshed in April 2022: https://oascahps.org/General-Information/Announcements/entryid/1283)
The following are some frequently asked questions and answers about the Preview Reports. More information about the OAS CAHPS Survey Preview Reports can be found in the "Understanding the Preview Reports" link under the For Facilities menu tab on the OAS CAHPS website.
- Who has access to a facility's Preview Report?
HOPDs and ASCs participating in the OAS CAHPS Survey have access to their own reports. The Preview Report is not available to OAS CAHPS Survey vendors or to anyone other than the facility staff registered through the https://oascahps.org website. If facility staff want to share the Preview Report with their OAS CAHPS Survey vendor or with anyone else, they can export the results to a Microsoft Excel File and distribute it.
- How does a facility user access its Preview Report?
The Preview Reports are posted on the secured (private) link on https://oascahps.org/. To access a facility's report, an authorized user must first log into the OAS CAHPS website with their registered username and password. Then, select the "Survey Preview Report" link under the "For Facilities" menu tab. All of the user's registered CMS Certification Numbers (CCNs) are displayed on the Preview Report webpage for review.
- What results are shown in the Preview Reports?
For each CCN, the Preview Report shows the results for each variable and measure shown below:
More information about the OAS CAHPS Survey measures in the Preview Reports can be found in Chapter XVI of the OAS CAHPS Survey Protocols and Guidelines Manual available under the Survey Materials menu tab on the OAS CAHPS website.
- The number of patients who were sampled; the number of completed surveys; and the response rate percentage during the reporting period;
- The percentage of patients who rated the overall care they received at the HOPD or ASC a "9" or "10" on a scale of 0 (worst care possible) to 10 (best care possible);
- The percentage of patients who reported YES, they would definitely recommend the HOPD or ASC to friends and family;
- The percentage of patients who reported that the HOPD or ASC staff gave care in a professional way and the facility was clean;
- The percentage of patients who reported that the HOPD or ASC staff definitely communicated with them about what to expect during and after the procedure; and
- The percentage of patients who reported that the HOPD or ASC staff definitely gave them information about what to do if they had pain, nausea or vomiting, bleeding, or possible signs of infection as a result of the procedure or the anesthesia, if any of these outcomes were experienced. NOTE: While CMS reviews the data, Composite 3 will not be publicly reported on data.medicare.gov. At this time, this composite score is only available directly to each facility through the Preview Report.
- Which sample months are included in the Preview Report results?
The results included in the current Preview Report are based on OAS CAHPS Survey response data from patients who had an outpatient surgery or procedure October 2020 through September 2021. The future anticipated public reporting periods are provided in Table 16.2 of the OAS CAHPS Survey Protocols and Guidelines Manual.
- My facility participated in the OAS CAHPS Survey, but there are no results shown. Why?
OAS CAHPS Survey results are publicly reported when an HOPD or ASC has 4 quarters of OAS CAHPS Survey data. An HOPD or ASC must have had survey response data (patients who responded to the survey) in all 4 quarters included in the public reporting period for results to be publicly reported.
Please contact the OAS CAHPS Survey Coordination Team via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or call toll-free (866) 590-7468, if you have any questions.