Updated Versions of Protocols and Guidelines Manual, Website User and Data Submission Manual, and Other Documents have been Posted
folder_openSurvey Materialscalendar_todayPosted November 2, 2022
Version 7.0 of the Protocols and Guidelines Manual, Version 6.0 of the Website User and Data Submission Manual and three standalone documents (XML Data File Layout-Standard, XML Data File Layout-DSRS and Model QAP) have been updated and posted on the OAS CAHPS website. The Protocols and Guidelines Manual and two XML Data File Layout standalone documents are available on the Survey Materials page. The Website User and Data Submission Manual is available on the Data Submission Resources page. The Model QAP is available to vendor users under the For Vendors menu once they have logged into the OAS CAHPS website.
The following is a summary of the main differences between Version 6.0 and Version 7.0 of the Protocols and Guidelines Manual.
- Throughout Manual: Updated references to the OAS CAHPS Survey Website User and Data Submission Manual from Version 5.0 to Version 6.0.
- Chapter II: Added text regarding participation guidelines for CY2023 based on the Proposed Rule published in July 2022.
- Chapter III: Revised the Vendor Business Requirements section to include information about requirement to disclose working relationships with other organizations involved with communications about or implementation of OAS CAHPS Survey; and clarified that use of remote work including virtual interviewers requires prior approval by CMS via an Exceptions Request.
- Chapter IV: Clarified patient eligibility criterion that patients must have had at least one eligible outpatient surgery/procedure during the sample month but were not admitted to the hospital as an inpatient; added reference to new Lag Time-Final variable in Table 4.1; and revised language in the Sampling Rates That Yield Above and Below the Minimum Number of Patients section.
- Chapter V: Specified that vendors cannot change the wording or order of either the OAS CAHPS Survey questions or to the response options.
- Chapter VII: Specified that vendors cannot change the wording or order of either the OAS CAHPS Survey questions or to the response options; and clarified QC recommendation to check noncomplete cases.
- Chapters VIII & IX: Clarified that the unique web survey access code can only be used once and never repeated.
- Chapter XI: Inserted new examples of ambiguous marks in the section about decision results for coding survey responses marked outside the response box; and clarified when vendors should apply final disposition code 350 (No Response After Maximum Attempts) in Table 11.1.
- Chapter XII: Updated screenshots where needed to reflect updated images of OAS CAHPS website; and updated one of the policies and procedures to ensure all communications and transfers are secure to the OAS CAHPS Data Center (Transport Layer Security [TLS]).
- Chapter XIII: Revised language in the Number of Patients Served description; clarified that patient age should be calculated based on the patient's date of birth and the outpatient surgery/procedure date for that patient; added new data variable (Lag Time-Final) and description; and revised the bulleted steps describing data file submission process and associated screenshots; revised description of data validation checks to include system verification of whether vendor is approved for survey mode indicated in the Header Record; and revised guidance as to where vendors can find the XML Schema Validation Tool.
- Chapter XIV: Revised description of data validation checks to include system verification if vendor is approved for survey mode indicated in the Header Record.
- Chapter XV: Added requirement that vendors must submit a Quality Assurance Plan (QAP) update if their organization is acquired/merged with another survey vendor.
- Chapter XVI : Updated Table 16.2 by removing older quarters and adding four future quarters of publicly reported data.
- Chapter XVII : Added information about a sixth allowable Exception Request (conducting OAS CAHPS operations from a remote location). Exceptions Requests for home-based work will expire after 2 years and vendors will need to resubmit for continued approval.
- APPENDIX A: Replaced some of the screenshots to reflect the latest changes to the Vendor Application form (revised instructions as to when vendors must review/update their Application form and Working with Other Organizations section).
- APPENDICES B, C AND D: As announced previously, added the phrase "at the facility" to survey questions 5 and 6 of the web instrument.
- APPENDIX H: Added a new FAQ in English, Spanish and Chinese on how to respond to a someone who is concerned about a "Say yes" scam.
- APPENDIX J and K: Added new Patient Administrative Data Record variable and description - Lag Time-Final.
- APPENDIX M : Added requirement that vendors must submit a QAP update if their organization is acquired/merged with another survey vendor; and added new text box explaining information vendors must include for surveys modes they are approved for but not actively administering versus those they are actively administering.
- APPENDIX P : Added new CPT code for exclusion (59050-Fetal monitoring during labor).
If you have questions, you can contact the OAS CAHPS Survey Coordination Team via e-mail at email@example.com or call 1-866-590-7468.